Sunday, 31 May 2009

Suffolk Trip - Day 1









On Thursday I set off for Suffolk for three days of birding staying not far from Minsmere leaving early to avoid jams at the A14/M6 junction.

It didn't take me too long for me to make my first mistake when I left the A14 to visit Wicken Fen to try for the Squacco Heron.Unfortunately I arrived there too early (7.30AM), the centre was closed and no one was around. I followed the site map to what I thought was the right area but after an hours search I had not seen it so I left.When I tried to get on the A14 again I was faced with a police road block and was sent off down some country lane.It took me ages to get back on the A14.A great decision then to go for the Heron!!!!!!!

I then drove to Dunwich Heath where I intended to spend the rest of the day with the main aim to try and get some decent shots of the Dartford Warblers.Did no good in the morning but when the sun came out after lunch I managed to see at least 6 in various places.

After that I went to one of my favourite spots on the heath the sloping scrub area between the car park and the first Minsmere Marsh which seems to attract loads of birds.I saw both Whitethroats,WillowWarblers,Stonechats,Yellowhammers,Chiffchaffs,Cetti'Warblers,Nightingales and there was a Common Rosefinch there but I didn't see it.

A few pics attached.Click on them for a larger version.

No comments: