Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Cannock Chase visit.





The weather was still excellent on Tuesday morning so I set off to Cannock Chase to try for Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers.

A birder friend had told me where to go to get the best chance of seeing them (a small coppice not far from the Stepping Stones) and this is where I headed having parked up at the Punchbowl.

Luck was with me because I soon found a male Redstart.What a cracking looking bird!!!!!! I watched it for half an hour getting food for it's young but the bad news for me was that it was pretty gloomy in the coppice so I failed to get a half decent shot.

Luck stayed with me because I soon saw a female Pied Flycatcher and later on the male.What a cracking looking bird as well!!!! The female soon flew off not to seen again but the male showed itself a few times but annoyingly at distance.

A few so so pics attached - click on them for a larger version.Great to see these great birds. 

2 comments:

Andy said...

Good stuff. How do you get to this place?

Max Silverman said...

Hi Andy,
The Cannock Chase car park to aim for is the Punchbowl off the A513.From here walk to the Stepping Stones and the coppice you need is on the left approx 100 metres before you get to the Stepping Stones.There are several nest boxes here and you have to scan each one.