Thursday 21 January 2010

A losing battle with some Bitterns.

This morning it was not raining for a change so, despite the foggy conditions, I shot over to Brandon Marsh.I headed straight to the River Pool hide where a Green-winged Teal had been reported earlier.

At the hide I could not find the GW Teal mainly because viewing conditions were very poor with sun glare one end of the pool and dull and misty the other end.However my eagle eye spotted a Bittern well hidden in the reeds right across the pool where it annoyingly stayed until it suddenly came out and flew off.What a miserable so and so.Got some pics but nothing to write home about.



After visiting all the hides trying for the GW Teal and failing badly I entered the East Marsh just in time to see another Bittern scoot across the channel to the left of the hide.For the next couple of hours I and several other birders waited patiently for it to come out again but did it? Did it hell!!!!! All we got was an occasional glimpse of it deep in the reeds.I had to give up and leave the hide because by this time my legs had gone numb with the cold and a further delay may have been fatal.Here are a couple of shots but can you spot the Bittern.



2 comments:

Kevin Groocock said...

Love the take off shot, Max. I was there on Wed PM and saw zilch! May try again today.

Max Silverman said...

Cheers Kevin.I would love to get one that is close and in the open.