Thursday 21 April 2011

Another day's birding in the sun.

Earlyish on Wednesday morning I went over to Brandon Marsh again this time I planned to hang around the path overlooking Newlands to see what came into camera range instead of wandering around everywhere like I did last time.

Apologies for posting more Common Whitethroat shots but they are for me the best looking of all the Warblers and this morning I came across this handsome chap who must be the Brad Pitt of the Whitethroat world.








I managed a few shots of a Cetti's Warbler which, although not as good as last year's shots, it was nice to get the first shot this year.







The pair of Linnets were still collecting nesting material.They must be building a mansion of a nest because they have been collecting for ages now.







When I was about to enter the second hour of waiting for a Grasshopper Warbler to show (it had been reeling very close to the bench on the corner of the path for ages) and getting fed up I received a text from Nic Barlow at Marsh Lane "Wood Sandpiper on CP pool". As Brandon was filling up with noisy energetic children I decided to go for it especially as it would be a good Warks Year tick.

Whenever I do this I always think I will miss it and the smiling people in the hide would say "It's just flown". On this occasion I need not have worried because it was still there although a bit distant favouring the island to the right of the hide.I waited patiently for well over two hours for it to come closer but it didn't so only crappographs taken.I need a bigger lens but with a bigger lens comes a bigger wallet and shoulders and spine made of high grade titanium.

Here are a few shots.Funnily enough the best shot was when it flew around having been disturbed by a Redshank.









To relieve the boredom waiting for the WS to come closer the Yellow Wagtail again paraded in front of the hide.








2 comments:

Kevin Groocock said...

Glad you got the Wood Sandpiper, Max & thanks for the text. Wish I could have got there as it was a lot closer than the Brandon ones last year. Nice images.

Max Silverman said...

Cheers Kevin but I needed it closer to get some decent shots.