Friday 1 May 2020

SHOTS FROM THE PAST - 5



I've tried to cheer myself up in this lockdown by reminding myself of happier days when I used to go to distant spots to take shots of some better birds.

At the end of July 2014 I got a call from my good friend Kath Everitt who informed me that a Night Heron was showing at Seeswood Pools not far from Nuneaton. As I'd never seen one before I shot over there. It was on the other side of the pool often lurking deep in the shadows of overhanging trees. You had to be very patient for it to show. 






In May 2011 whilst strolling along on the shore at Cley I came across a small flock of Shore Larks flitting around on the shingle.They were very nervy and kept flying off.They were very well camouflaged on the shinge and very hard to spot.








Early in one morning in August 2016 I was out birding locally when I received a call from a good friend Pete Walkden asking me if I would like to join him on a trip down to Otmoor to try for the Purple Heron. You bet I did. We got there mid morning and soon settled down near the spot it was last seen.We had to be very patient but it eventually showed (just as I was eating an apple) and we both managed some shots before it dropped down again.






I was just coming to the end of a trip to Norfolk in September 2012 when I heard that an Osprey was showing well at Upton Warren.Worried that it had gone as I drove over there the following Monday I was very pleased it was still there.The first shot below was taken at Marsh Lane in May 2017 the rest at Upton Warren.










For a few years till recently I would have a day at a village in the Chilterns called Watlington where Red Kites were everywhere. These shots were taken in May 2016.









Luckily locally at several reserves Kingfishers can be seen regularly.These shots were taken at Marsh Lane and Brandon Marsh.









No comments: