Thursday 3 June 2010

A Trip to the Gilfach NR in Wales.

Thanks to Dave Hutton for finding this reserve and for putting great shots of Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers on his website (Seeswood pool and beyond) and,as I'd only got poor shots of these two birds,I was inspired to have a go myself and make the trip to Wales.

Left at 6.30AM but as I joined the M42 I found it pretty foggy but I need not have worried because by the time I got to Worcester it had gone.Arrived at the Gilfach NR ,which is not far from Rhayader,at 9.00AM and headed straight to the Otter hide which is were the Pied Flycatchers are supposed to be.

The Otter hide is very impressive.It's situated right next to a stream and in a small coppice where the nest boxes are situated.There was no one there so I had the place to myself.I didn't have to wait long before both Flycatchers turned up at a nearby nest box (12 feet away) with insects for the chicks.I had a magic hour in the hide with these cracking birds.Here are a few shots which I am pleased with especially as it was a little gloomy in the coppice :-








A surprise and a bonus whilst in the hide a juvenile Dipper appeared in the stream a little far off but nice to see.




Right now for the Redstarts which Dave told me were nesting in the eaves of the centre.There were two birders there so it was no trouble getting onto the Redstarts that occasionally dropped down to the nearby trees and onto a stone wall although the female was hard to spot.Here are a few shots :-






I didn't see the Tawny Owl that was deep in a Beech Tree near the Centre and I didn't walk any of the trails so another visit is on my list.It is a cracking reserve and all the staff I spoke too were very helpful.

2 comments:

Kevin Groocock said...

Excellent visit, Max and some super images. I have yet to get close to these birds - maybe not this year though.

Max Silverman said...

Cheers Kevin.I was lucky to see them because I'm told once the chicks fledge you don't see them.