Monday 30 April 2012

A short visit to Brandon Marsh.

As soon as I recovered from the shock of seeing the sun was out this morning I headed off to Brandon Marsh.On the journey there I noticed a few flooded fields and several trees that had been downed by the strong winds.

Got to Brandon just after 9.00AM to find it bright but quite windy.Chatting to a birder I knew in the car park he told me that the path to the EM hide and beyond was very flooded and impassible unless wearing big wellies.My wellies are small.Damn and blast !!!!

I headed past the wind pump and walked that path round to the the golf course to see if any Warblers were about.There were plenty of Willow Warblers,Ciffchaffs and Blackcaps singing away.There were also some Common Whitethroats who were very flighty but I did manage a few so so shots.

Best of all was a Lesser Whitethroat that was singing out in the trees the other side of the path from the sheep field.I spent nearly an hour trying to get a shot but although I had some very good views it was too flighty for me.

Had another go at getting a Cetti's shot but failed hopelessly.By this time it was late morning I was knackered and my back was beginning to ache so in wimp mode I headed home leaving a few friends setting off to try and get round to the Carlton hide and see the Nightingale.



No comments: