Friday 26 June 2020

IT'S TOUGH OUT THERE.


Since my last post nearly 2 weeks ago I have been out with the camera several times but I've found it very hard to find any decent birds to point the camera at.This is partly down to me as I do not visit bird reserves any more and only go to local spots mind you friends who do visit reserves are also struggling.

A few visits to my local patch at Temple Balsall produced no shots except a distant shot of a GS Woodpecker and some pretty poor shots of speeding Swallows.








Did spot a perched Common Buzzard perched on an electric pylon when visiting the farm shop near Balsall Common.






Birds visiting the feeders in my back garden have almost stopped as expected so it was a surprise when some House Sparrows appeared. Only a few years ago these were very common visitors but now pretty rare.First ones in my garden for 3 years now.








Every year at this time I go looking locally for one of my favourite birds Spotted Flycatchers and I've always been lucky but so far not this year.I've been to a few spots were I've seen them before but no luck although I cannot get into the NT property at Baddesley Clinton which although open you have to book up in advance even to get into the grounds. Not much good being a member then.

At the Berkswell churchyard there were no signs of Spotted Flycatchers this year so had to make do with shots of Song Thrush that was giving a concert a gloomy shot of a House Martin feeding young. 







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Max very interesting comment about House Sparrows. I live in Bentley Heath not far from you and this year we are inundated with Sparrows. They have increased a lot in the last few years. Previously there was only a very small population.
We have several Blackbirds which feed on the lawns and nearly always accompanied by a House Sparrow. It is lovely to hear their chirping after a long absence.
Myself and Brian do not visit reserves anymore but content ourselves with feeding the birds.
Brian being in the country is still getting loads of birds on his feeders.

All the best

Jeff Preston

Max Silverman said...

Hi Jeff House Sparrows used to nest in the eaves of some of the houses in my road so we loads of them but 3 years ago they didn't show up and became rare.

Max