Thursday 23 September 2010

Coming down to earth.

Having spent three days birding last week in Norfolk I had to come down to earth and do some local birding.

When going out birding in Norfolk,especially this time of year,you have a damn good chance of seeing something very good but here in our area you have very little chance of seeing anything decent.It's a shame really because we have some very good reserves locally with Marsh Lane,Brandon Marsh,Draycote Water and Upton Warren being my favourites but it's a rare thing when something good turns up.

On Tuesday morning I decided to go to Draycote Water as a BN Grebe had been seen the day before.Did I see it then? No which was a shame as it was an excellent day ideal for getting some decent shots.In fact it was very quiet birdwise the only highlight was having a picnic lunch with Francoise by the outlet.

Tried to get some shots of the Yellow Wagtails and Meadow Pipits on the Farborough Bank before I left but even these were being very uncooperative and difficult to get close to.








The weather man promised me another great day on Thursday so in the morning I paid a visit to the flashes at Upton Warren.It turned out to be a bad move as it happened.

There was a lot of work going on along the main path and the noise disturbed the birds so I had only distant views of 3 Dunlin,a Common and 2 Green Sandpipers and no pics.The good weather promised by the weather man soon went and it became dull and cool.The morning was saved by meeting Jeff and Brian in the hide always good company.They had both lashed out and bought cameras to try out so it was a pity no birds came close!!!

On the way home I had a quick look round Marsh Lane.I did get excited in the Oak hide when 3 Terns dropped in.I knew all the Common Terns had gone so where these something special? No I'm afraid a birder came in who knew what he was talking about and said they were juvenile Common Terns.

No comments: