Sunday 9 September 2012

A trip to Norfolk - Day 1

Although it was too early to see any migrants I decided to pay a visit to Norfolk mainly because I needed a break and the forecast was good.

Parked up at Titchwell at 8.00AM on Wednesday morning.It was bright but cool and breezy.I decided to walk the new trail that had just opened and that goes past the Fen hide right round to the back of the fresh water marsh.

I was very impressed and although I didn't see much there's huge potential with a new lake, several viewing screens and plenty of scrubland,trees and hedging.Near the last screen there is a bank you can climb to view a tidal inlet and it was from here I spotted several Seals basking in the sun.From the fresh water screen I saw a few distant Spoonbills.









I then headed to the Island hide and although there were a few Black-tailed Godwits and some Ruff nearby the light was dazzling and no good for pics.I did get a distant shot of 17 Spoonbills and some Ruff flight shots.












Although I spent a while in the new Parrinder hide I struggled to get any decent shots.The light here was also dazzling and all the good stuff was way too far for my lens.The only decent bird I latched onto was a Spotted Redshank that stayed near the hide for all of 5 seconds.






After a quick lunch I headed over to Thornham harbour which is one of my favourite spots but can be very hit and miss on the bird front.There were a good few waders including Godwits,Redshanks,Curlews and Gulls etc on the muddy creek banks.

I spotted a decent looking Grey Plover and got a few shots.









Another wader flew in that I struggled to ID mainly because I'd never seen one on a muddy bank before.It was a Turnstone and showed well for a while.












There were loads of Curlews about and I'm sure I saw a Whimbrel but I lost it.














No comments: