Saturday 23 November 2013

BACKTRACKING 3.


Went to Marsh Lane again Friday morning but had no luck and never used the camera once.So I thought I'd do some more backtracking and post some shots taken in recent years of some local birds.

In March 2013 we were very lucky at Marsh Lane when up to four Jack Snipes showed in the marsh next to the Oak hide.Quite often one came pretty close to the hide.Here are a couple of shots one showing a Common and a Jack next to each other.





On the 26th April of this year I had just parked up at Brandon Marsh when a text told me "31 Black-tailed Godwits in front of Oak hide at Marsh Lane".I of course raced over there fingers crossed that they were still there.Luckily they were and I was able to get some of my best shots of these chaps.




I'd never seen a Lesser Scaup before so I was chuffed to get this shot of one that stayed for a few days in Toft at Draycote Water in March 2011.Mind you I needed help to pick it out amongst the Tufties.




I'd seen Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers before but all my shots had been taken at distance and were pretty grim.In October 2009 one started to show at Whitacre Heath in the cut down reeds in front of one of the hides.Mind you you had to be very patient as it didn't appear very often.




In September 2009 a friend and I were walking along Farborough bank when we spotted a very dark bird about 30 metres out on the water.We didn't have a clue what it was but being pro's (Ha Ha) we immediately rattled off some shots as it flew off.It wasn't till later that we found out it was a Manx Shearwater.




I'd been on a trip to Norfolk in September 2009 and at Cley I'd failed to get even a half decent shot of a Pectoral Sandpiper that was there.It would not come close.When I got home I received a text that there was one at Draycote Water so the next day I shot over there fingers crossed that it was still there.It was.It favoured a beach area just past the Spit on the Farborough bank.It took no notice of all the birders watching it from the footpath wall.Great bird.






In 2011 an Owl box not far from the Oak hide along the stream line was occupied by a pair of Tawny Owls.Didn't get any shots of the adults but stumbled upon these juveniles in June.It was great surprise when I spotted them.



No comments: