Sunday, 30 August 2015


On Thursday morning I was very much in wimp mode because the ferocious attack I'd endured earlier in the week by a female Pheasant had messed up my knee again.Needing to go out I went over to Shustoke Reservoir where you can park up and scan the water without the need to walk far.

This was shrewd plan except for the fact the water was covered by vast areas of weed and the birds had deserted the place.There was a chap in a boat trying to gather up the weed but at the rate he was going I estimated it would take him 10 years. Oh Dear a wasted trip ! !

On Friday morning I went to Marsh Lane where I met my good friend Pete Scraggs in the car park.He was not too happy as he had also been attacked by the female Pheasant in the same place I was.I confess that later when I walked down the same path I was very apprehensive but survived.Only shots I took that morning were of a couple of adult Water Rails. 

On Saturday morning needing somewhere different to go I went over to the flashes at Upton Warren with fingers crossed that the knee would hold up and I wouldn't be trapped in the big hide overnight.Got there at 9.00 AM and was surprised to find the car park nearly full.As I got kitted up I was pleased I'd bought a coat as it was pretty chilly so I was very surprised to see that the swimming club were out and over 20 swimmers were out on the sailing lake.Oh to be young ! !

By the gate to the reserve gate I spotted loads of Hirundines  were on the wires.Took a few shots but not from a good angle.

Also had a go at a few flight shots but as usual these chaps were too quick for me.

Along the main path  did get a few shots including a juvenile Common Whitethroat (well I think it's one) and of a Linnet.The Common Redstarts were far too far away for me.

On the main pool there were quite a few waders but I had to go into patience mode because the bright early morning sunshine was in your eyes and all the birds were in silhouette but as  the morning progressed I was able to get some shots.

There was a lone Avocet still there and a lone Common Snipe had just flown in. 

There were two Common Sandpipers and a lone Green Sandpiper.

Best of all were three Ruffs and a lone Dunlin

Not long after I said that this used to be good spot for Curlews 15 flew in and posed for shots.

No comments: