Sunday 31 December 2017

ANNUAL REPORT : BEST BIRDS SEEN IN 2017


In January I finally decided to drive south to Stow in the Wold to see the Blue Rock Thrush that had been in a housing estate there for a few weeks.Got there at 10.00 AM to find no other birders about.Oh Dear had I left it too late.Luckily no I found it after a while on a house rooftop.A Lifer for me ! !



In February I went to Swanshurst park in Moseley where an Iceland Gull had been seen with the other Gulls on the pond there.It would be another lifer for me but after 3 visits in very cold weather I'd drawn a blank.On the 4th visit I thought I'd drawn another blank after scanning all the pond but as I was about to enter swearing mode I spotted it only a few feet away.






In March some of my favourite birds Waxwings were paying visits to my local patch Marsh Lane.






In April I was chuffed to find some Bar-tailed Godwits at Marsh Lane








Also in April a Cetti's Warbler showed very well along the causeway at Marsh Lane.






In May I made my annual visit to the Chilterns to see the Red Kites.I always park up in the small town of Watlington where you have got a very good chance of seeing them close up.






In June and July I made 4 visits to East Leake in Nottinghamshire where in a quarry 7 Bee-eaters had unbelievably taken up residence.Another lifer for me.Never got close so no great shots but who cares what stunning birds.








In July a Grasshopper Warbler was found at Marsh Lane.It was a very accommodating bird and decent shots were easy just as I like it.








In November I finally managed to get a decent shot of the Tawny Owl that you had to be very lucky to get a glimpse of in it's box along the streamline at Marsh Lane.




I've never been able to get a decent shot of a Hawfinch.The only shot I'd got was pretty poor and I had had to drive miles to get that so I was delighted when 4+ had been spotted in December in the churchyard at Berkswell  and I was able to get some decent shots at long last.







No comments: