Monday 22 October 2018

RIVER HIDE ON TOP FORM AT THE LOCAL PATCH.


Went down to Marsh Lane this morning getting there at 9.00 AM.It was sunny but very cold.

Headed down to Oak hide first and soon spotted Big Whitey a fair way off but he'd caught a fish.I managed a shot before he had a bit of a dust up with a Heron.






I soon headed over to the river hide which was an excellent move.With the now very low water levels on the RW pool made the view very spectacular with all the muddy areas close to the hide attracting many birds.

Of all the reserves I've been to over the years the river hide this morning could well have given the best view I've ever had.Pity it cannot be kept like this I'm sure it would attract many waders.

At one time this morning I could see 3 Green Sandpipers, a Kingfisher, a Water Rail, 8 Little Egrets (my record for this site) and the Great White Egret among scores of the usual suspects.

Here a few shots.Not all plain sailing though the light was very bright from the left so it was tricky to get decent shots so no keepers.Also whilst I was alone in the river hide others got good views of a Stonechat in the marsh from Oak hide.Can't win them all.  
















I might have stumbled on a brand new species on the RW pool.A Black-bellied Mute Swan.



No comments: