Monday 24 February 2020

SHOTS FROM THE PAST - 1



As my birding is now limited to my garden and some places close to home I thought I'd post a series of shots from the past that I was pleased with.

Although I had been birding for over 15 years I had never seen a Bee eater so when in July 2017 a total of seven were reported in a quarry area not far from Nottingham I shot over there. The site was well organised by the RSPB and a farmer had sent aside a field for parking ( £5 a time so I hope he did well ). I went 4 times in total and saw these fabulous birds every time but they never came close so no decent shots.






Regarding Buzzards over the years Common Buzzards are easy but although chasing Rough-legged Buzzards several times I've never seen one. Regarding Honey Buzzards I was in a hide at Titchwell in September 2008 when a Buzzard drifting across in front of the hide was ID by a couple of other birders as a Common.I relaxed. Then they both shouted "No it's a Honey Buzzard" . All I got was this crappograph as it drifted away (2nd shot). 







I've got loads of shots of Cuckoos over the years but the only decent one was taken at Brandon Marsh on May 2012 . I was standing near one of the screens when one landed on a tree very close to us ( 3 other birders) . I was the only one to get some shots as their 500 lenses wouldn't fit through the viewing gaps in the screen.



In April 2009 a good friend knowing I'd never seen a Dipper tipped me off of a spot at Lathkill Dale were they were showing. After parking in a little village and a long walk after walking down the hill from hell I found the spot.There were 2 other birders there who were just giving up and leaving having been there for 2 hours with no luck.Less than a minute after they had gone 2 Dippers turned up.






In October 2008 whilst on Titchwell beach I found a Lapland Bunting. Well that's not exactly true I re found it that morning it had been found the day before  .




I've only ever seen one Snow Bunting and that was along the Farborough  Bank at Draycote Water in October 2007.




I raced to Shustoke Reservoir in May 2011 when the day before a Black-throated Diver had been spotted.Luckily it was still there.






Every Winter Draycote Water had upto 4 Great Northern Divers showing and it was pretty easy to get some decent shots.These were taken in December 2013






On a bitterly cold day early in January 2009 a Red-throated Diver was at Draycote Water. I and 2 other birders were just past the sailing club and spotted it right over by the valve tower over a mile away. Amazingly in several short flights it headed towards us and I managed a few shots.





No comments: