Friday 28 February 2020

SHOTS FROM THE PAST - 2



In October 2009 a Lesser Scaup had been reported at Draycote Water. As I'd never seen one before I headed down there but as usual with me I thought I'd left it too late as it had been reported a few days earlier.There were no other birders where it had been seen  but I was very lucky because I soon spotted it and it came pretty close.






One of my favourite birds are Hobbies. They are wonderful to watch in action hawking for dragonflies. My local patch Marsh lane till recent years has been great for seeing them. All these shots were taken there two in September 2015 and one in June 2010.








Kestrels till recent years were pretty easy to find locally but nowadays are rare.These shots were taken at Marsh Lane in February 2018 and at Draycote Water in September 2009.







Peregrines are another favourite of mine. Both these shots taken at Marsh Lane. The first one in November 2018 and is the only time I've seen one on the ground and the other shot was taken in July 2016.






In July 2015 a  Red-footed Falcon had been seen in an orchard area near Stoke on Trent for a few weeks before I decided to have a go for it. Although it would be a lifer for me I did not fancy the grind of the M6. A friend at Marsh Lane persuaded me to go saying the journey wasn't too bad.So off I set the next day. The M6 was a nightmare with most of it reduced to 50 mph and I got lost as soon as I turned off the motorway my map was well out of date. By some miracle I found the site.There was only one birder there and after a while together we found the bird. Well worth all the aggro.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see some of your old shots Max. I remember one September at Marsh Lane when a Hobby gave us an hours entertainment this side of Oak Hide -- wonderful.
Have you got any shots of the long stating Osprey at Upton Warren?

Jeff Preston

Max Silverman said...

Hi Jeff

Yes great fun with the Hobbies at ML over the years.

Yes got some shots of the UW Osprey. Will post in the near future.

Max