Sunday 5 April 2020

SHOTS FROM THE PAST - 4


One morning in May 2014 I had a call from John Oates saying that he had found a Bonaparte's Gull on the railway pool at Marsh Lane.I confess to never even heard about one before so I shot over there and managed a few shots and a life tick to boot






Early in February 2017 an Iceland Gull had been reported amongst the other Gulls using a large pond in a Birmingham park (I think it was Small Heath park but I might be wrong). I eventually went for it but it took me 3 visits before I caught up with it. I remember it being very cold and after scanning round the pond on my third visit and not seeing it I was about to give up when it appeared right in front of me.






One of my bogy birds is a Hen Harrier. I've only ever seen one and that was a long way off in October 2008 way to the west of the main path at Titchwell.Despite watching it for an hour it would not come close. Only managed one crappograph.




I've seen Marsh Harriers in many places not only in Norfolk but also at Marsh Lane and Brandon Marsh.These shots were taken at these locations. 








I love Sparrowhawks and used to see them regularly in the garden. The second shot here was taken in the garden in March 2010.







In the good old days I used to have birding holidays in Norfolk several times a year and each visit I would visit a layby on the road between  Burnham Market and North Creake where you could overlook fields were Montague's Harriers would nest each year.You had to be very patient to catch a glimpse so no great shots but great to see.





We've  been lucky round here over the years with Bitterns being regular Winter visitors at Marsh Lane and Brandon Marsh.






Another bogy bird of mine is a Cattle Egret. I've only ever seen one and that was near the main building at Middleton Hall with the highland cattle in April 2009. Both Little and Great White Egrets have been very easy to see locally.Both the shots below were taken at Marsh Lane in July 2018 







No comments: