Friday 3 April 2015

A GOLDCREST AND A COAL TIT.


Had not planned to go out with the camera on Thursday because a courier was calling ( "between 9.00 AM and 5.00 PM ") but very surprisingly arrived early.Also as I had to pop into Knowle to pick up a prescription I took the camera with me and just after lunch popped into my nearest local patch Knowle churchyard.It can be good for one of my favourite birds Goldcrests although last year I didn't see one there. 

The good news was that I soon found one but the bad news was that it was always high up in the trees and all I'd got after an hour was this shot.




What had kept interested during this hour was that I'd spotted a Coal Tit gathering moss for a bit of nest building.






What I found amazing was that it's nest was being made inside an ancient stone tomb that was under a pretty big conifer.There was a small hole in the top of an end slab of the tomb and the Coal Tit was entering there.The tomb itself was in the gloom of the conifer so inside the tomb (besides there being  a body in there) must have been pitch black and you wonder how the bird could see to build a nest.Infra red goggles ??

Quite suddenly the Coal Tit coming out again from the tomb landed on a small tree that I happened to be standing next to.I'd been in the churchyard for nearly two hours so patience does pay pity I haven't got much usually.








As I was taking those close shots of the Coal Tit I thought how nice it would be if the Goldcrest would land in this tree.Blow me down if it had already landed there and was on the next branch and for once was not pinging around.I'm getting impressed with this patience game.








When it turned to face me I thought I'd ask it what it thought about photographers and having it's picture taken.




This was a big mistake and it flew into a rage and really let rip.The language was dreadful.It soon flew off.





No comments: