Friday 8 December 2017

FUN AND GAMES WITH A KESTREL.


Had no intentions of going down to Marsh lane yesterday morning it was far too gloomy and windy for this fair weather birder.However when it started to brighten up and when the weatherman said snow for the next few day I thought I'd better pop over there.

Got there just after 10.00 AM.There was no one else there.It was windy and still gloomy.Oh Dear ! !

After an hour of trudging around  all I'd seen of note was the Mandarin duck from the river hide.






At this point I decided to give in and head home but just as I got back to the causeway a Raptor flew over my head and down the streamline.I spotted it immediately I got in the N causeway hide.It was a Sparrowhawk perched a long way down the streamline trees.Too far for a decent shot but very nice to see.







Just before I left I decided to check out the crop field.Whilst doing so and not having much luck a Kestrel turned up.The big surprise was that instead of flying off to the next county when it spotted me it put on a flying show specially for me.

Several times it flew directly over my head and besides getting me to fall over backwards trying to get some shots I managed some unusual shots.






The light was very awkward with the bright sunshine either blowing out the shots or taking silhouettes.Did manage a few decent ones.













No comments: